Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stress

Today has been a really stressful day.  First I wake up and find that I have lost no weight this week so I decide to go buy a new scale but first I have to go to the doctor and have blood drawn.  Now I hate needles but its never as bad as I imagine it to be.  So I go to the doctor and leave from there and run and get a scale.  Well that was one good thing in my day because the new scale says I have lost a pound.  The rest of the day consisted of cleaning the house, doing my exercise for the day, fixing dinner, and studying for a photography test I have tomorrow.  By this time the kids are home from school and I always have them do their homework first thing which becomes an all out battle with usually one of them.  Today it was my youngest so I made him go to his room and think about why he should have just listened to me and done his homework.  We then have dinner and I wash up all the dishes.  I then spend the next hour still trying to get my youngest to do his homework, during which I'm still trying to study for my test.  As you know I have 3 boys and the oldest does not get along at all with the two younger ones so most of the time its a screaming match around here.  I've tried so many times to get things under control but my kids just don't respect me.  Oh they are wonderful in school and for everybody else but for me its all out hell around here.  Well I sent all three to bed early, the two youngest ones because they don't get up in the morning for me without yelling and pitching a fit and also when bedtimes get here they find any reason to keep coming out of their room.  The oldest was sent to bed early because he tries to play parent and tell me what to do.  On top of that things are really stressed between my husband and myself because he doesn't believe I am disciplining the kids good enough which I agree with but he has no idea how stressful things are on me.  I feel like I am peacekeeper, referee and judge in this house.  So all the kids are mad at me for punishing them and my husband is ill with me because I sometimes take my frustration out on him.  On top of all of this I'm still trying to study for a test tomorrow which I'm really stressing over.  Another thing I am obsessed over is making really good grades.  I try to divide myself among everyone and everything but sometimes I feel so stretched thin that I don't know how much more I can take on.  I've went back to school to try to make a better life for me and my family but with little support and encouragement from anyone.  Plus trying to eat right and exercise and take care of a family and home.  As you can tell I'm just a little stressed today, but my main point of this post is that usually when I'm stressed I want to eat.  Eat anything in sight, but mainly sweets......chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cake....anything you can think of.  But its different now my focus has moved off of food, I guess thats a really good thing but I do feel like I'm missing something.  Now I have to deal with this stress in some other form.  I literally feel like my head is going to explode, I guess this would be a really good time to exercise but I've already done my exercise for today.  Time to find some new ways to deal with stress, any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. I am not great at dealing with stress honestly. I have yet to find a way (other than eating) to calm myself down when I get in a tizzy. The whole 'go exercise' or 'take deep breaths' just does not work. If you find something, do tell!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that's a lot to deal with at the same time. I can't even imagine. I am trying to come up with an activity that would help you, but I am coming up blank. Maybe go for a relaxing walk, not to exercise, just to clear you mind. Could you sit down with your husband and boys when they are all calm and relaxed and explain how you are feeling and ask them to help you out rather than add to the stress? It's a long shot and might not work, but maybe they would understand... Anyway, good luck on your test! Hope today turns out to be a much better day. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was a much better day, I went to school and we got to take pictures during class which was so much fun and then I took my test and I think I made an A......crossing my fingers. After class I left school and stopped and took some more pictures on the way home. Yea I could go for a relaxing walk but then that leaves my husband to deal with the kids....not going to happen....lol. I just need to get control of my house and teach the kids to respect some boundaries, which I'm trying to do right now. I went to get them up this morning and my middle child had wrote me a note and left it laying beside his bed that said, "I'm sorry for last night mommy, will you please wake me up nicely this morning, I love you mommy". I always try to wake them up nicely but sometimes you just have to raise your voice because they are such hard sleepers, I don't try to be mean but they think I am. This morning all my kids got up and not one of them whined or pitched a fit. It was a peaceful morning, the pay off of discipline. Now I'm waiting to see what happens when they get home and its homework time, I'm hoping they learned the lesson from yesterday. My problem is I'm not consistent, I know this, sometimes its hard to punish your child. I guess I just have to add this to my list of things to accomplish in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, hello, I can't really understand your frustration because I don't have children yet but I can remember that me and my mother were always fighting about daily things and I felt most of the time that I can "win" battles against her, I now regret it and feel that if I have listen to her more often thinks would be better in my life, so my point is, don't fight with your kids, really, you get stressed they get bad habits of fighing for thinks because they learn they can win sometimes, I advice is: If he doesn't want to do his homework sit next to him and make him do it saing: "Oh... no boy you're not getting your butt of this table until you finish that, and I have aaall night! If you want to waste more time, be my guest..."
    Make him see and you are incharge, don't just make him go to his room where he can do whatever he wants, make him stay with you and do thinks like helping you wach the dishes, set the table, clean the table... etc...
    If he doesn't want to have to do all of that then he will learn that maybe is clear to listen to you in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you for the advice Lisa I really do appreciate, at this point I'm willing to try anything. I really have noone to blame for my children acting out but myself so now I have to work even harder to get them under control. Yes I tell them sometimes that I can't wait for them to grow up so they can look back and see how bad they treated me as good as I was to them but of course being children they say that will never happen. Oh and when he goes to his room he doesn't get to do anything but sit on his bed and think, no playing with toys. I'm going to see what happens when they come home from school and I will go from there. Thanks again for your advice.

    ReplyDelete