Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why can't I just stop eating?

Have you ever asked yourself the question......Why can't I just stop eating?  So many times I've had that exact conversation with myself..  Which led me to make promises which only led to failure.  There is one problem with that question.....it shouldn't be......."why can't I just stop eating", it should be......."why I can't just I eat healthy"?  Putting restrictions on your food or at least for me has led to failure time and time again.  My new approach to eating is not restriction but allowance.  Giving myself permission to eat what I want, when I want in moderation has kept me from feeling deprived.  When you feel deprived you rebel against what you are trying to accomplish, which is why I have always given up. 

For example if I want fast food I can have it but in moderation and I pick the healthiest thing they have on the menu.  Lately I have been craving a milkshake so I turned to my fellow bloggers and Charlotte from http://fathairday.blogspot.com/ gave me a wonderful low calorie, no fat shake recipe that you can find at this link http://nevertheskinnygirl.blogspot.com/2010/10/lets-shake-it-up-baby.html.  If I'm craving chocolate then I have a peppermint patty because I know that will satisfy my craving and is only 3 points on the weight watchers point system.  What things have you found to replace unhealthy foods with?  What changes have you made?

This approach isn't for everyone but so far its working for me.  Does anyone else use this technique in their weight loss?  Is it working for you?  Have you noticed that giving yourself permission to eat has helped or hurt? 

I'm open to hear what techniques others are using to so if you have an approach to weight loss that is successful for you please share.

6 comments:

  1. Again, a great post!

    I personally LOVE cakes and sweets, but I found that yoplait yogurt makes 100 cal yogurts that are all desserty. like red velvet cake, black forest cake, strawberry short cake, rasberry cheesecake! And they totally work for me! And with the whips, you can freeze them and have a froze sweet treat, like the chocolate! YUM! Other than that I am doing the EXACT same thing as you! Because I have failed too many times to try and cut all the yummy "bad" things out, and I end up binging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point, but sadly, I can't eat anything I want in moderation. Let me eat gluten, and I am overwhelmed by cravings for days. I've tried and tried and tried and just can't.

    But, I have found some substitutes. There is a product called Miracle Noodles that satisfies my need for pasta--it has no calories, no carbs and is made from plant fiber.

    I found a pizza crust that can be made from cauliflower, egg whites and cheese. :D

    Sugar is not a trigger for me (Although I have to limit it due to diabetes.) so when I feel like I "need" a sweet dessert when out, I can get ice cream.

    But at home--frozen bananas whipped up in the food processor tastes like and has the consistency of soft serve ice cream. It really does!

    And I substitute the chemical laden, flavored yogurts with Fage and frozen fruit. :D Healthy, protein-rich and good.

    There's more, but I don't want to hijack your blog further.

    But if I were to ask myself the question, "Why can't I stop eating?" or "Why can't I eat healthily?" The answer would be, "I ate gluten."

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A LITTLE of what you fancy does you good.."

    I think there is a lot of truth in that. Don't forget the word 'little' though! :)

    Deprivation is a sure fire way to break a healthy eating plan. Allow yourself small food treats, count their calories, and be conscious of the amount you eat. It's the only way I can stick to a healthy eating plan.

    This is for life. I am sure a restrictive diet doesn't teach us much about using food sensibly in the long term.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha I have tried the Yoplait yogurts and they are pretty good. I've also had the whips but I've never frozen them before, I will have to try that. Thanks for the ideas.

    Deb where do you find all these products you are talking about? Can you find them in a traditional grocery store? I would love to try the pizza crust that sounds really good. What is Fage? I will have to do some research on gluten and see how it affects your eating. Don't worry about hijacking my blog I would love to hear more about your solutions. I will be checking out your blog in alittle while and see what I can find there. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fage is a brand of Greek yogurt. It is tangyer than regular and has 15 grams of protein in SIX ounces. 90 calories. :)

    The pizza crust--alak and alas--can't find it in a store. You have to make it. I have a link to the recipe and my own tips on posts in June. The titles are something like, "Pizza, pizza, pizza" and "Pizza Questions and Answers." something like that.

    Haha. If you read my blog now, you'll find my description of a dive into gluten and it's accompanying weight gain. :(

    I do have a post on food favorites this month tho.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fat Grump you are right we have to find a way of eating that we can continue for the rest of our life and there is noway I can do deprivation.

    Deb I'm definitely going to check out more of your blog and if you have anymore wonderful recipes like the pizza one I would love them.

    ReplyDelete